ABOUT STEWARDS IN ACTION
Our purpose, goals and objectives, history and financial accountability
- To offer help to families in the area of budgeting and planning. Budgeting, as it relates to financial issues; and planning, as it relates to meal preparation, purchases, and other short terms concerns.
- To help families understand cooperative power as it relates to purchasing, in order to bring savings to the family. Expanding that cooperative power to joint ventures that teach skills for living such, as home repair, bartering, seeking, and utilizing opportunities that make dreams come true.
- To assist families in obtaining knowledge and awareness of all human resources/services available to them.
- Sponsor seminars that coordinate various services to enhance and assist the family’s ever changing and growing needs
Goals and Objectives
- Provide classes that will address current problems that face individuals/families today
- Assist those attending classes how to understand financial matters such as, but not limited to:
- Setting realistic goals
- Planning to spend
- Stewardship and ownership concepts
- The difference between needs and wants
- Introduce individuals/families to the concept of setting short-term objectives that will equate to becoming debt free.
- Scheduling seminars that promote knowledge awareness in the following areas:
- Long Term Care – Medicare/Medicaid
- Estate Planning
Stewards in Action (S.I.A.) was a part of the effort of One Step Budgeting, a service designed to teach people how to live debt free. The owner, Karen Cheathem, worked for several years to try to teach the simple concept of budgeting but found there were many other hidden problems that hindered some from achieving their goal.
The trend known as downsizing was having an effect on households across Muskegon County . Understanding how to live on less using the concept of budgeting, in-home meal planning and other support helps was a skill that had to be embraced if families were to survive. On August 20, 1997, Perry Cheathem, Jr., Sequita Jackson and Karen Cheathem met to discuss what they could do to help families in financial need. From this meeting Stewards In Action was born.
From that first meeting through November 17, 1999 , Karen continued her research and worked with families. With a retrospect view of the many government programs designed to assist those in need, it was determined that the focus was physical in nature, that is, someone noted the need, and based on X dollars, devised a plan to help. The missing piece in the plan was the inner or spiritual makeup of the persons in need. Families receiving the services felt anxious, defeated, and self-reproachful. In addition, their very dignity was weakened and their very freedom was at risk. With that in view, S.I.A.’s approach was to give families opportunities to maximize what they have to achieve what they need.
In September 2002, Stewards in Action (SIA) became a publicly supported organization and tax exempt from federal income tax 501 (a) of the Internal Revenue Code as an organization described in section 501 (c)( 3).
Board of Directors
Perry Cheathem Jr.
President - Sequita Jackson
Vice President - Perry Cheathem, Sr.
Secretary/Treasurer - Karen J. Cheathem
Perry Cheathem, Jr.
Financial Accountability Report Summary - Fiscal 2019
October 1, 2018 – September 30, 2019
Expense: Seminars, various training packets, and website
Net Income/(loss) From Operations: $578.10
Administrative cost: Supplies used for presentations
Assets: $4,816.60 including book inventory at September 30, 2019
Liabilities: None outstanding
Staffing: SIA has no paid staff
Seminars, Classes and Community Events: 1,469
Media Ministry (Facebook, Twitter, website, Linkedin and digital newsletters): Average 724/month
One Minute - Radio Tips: 14,000 listening audience plus bounce. Estimated 3,000/per month
Word Living Newsletters distributed September - June since 1997: 41,407 copies distributed
Contact SIA to view detailed financial statements and statistical data.
Our workshops help you get your legal and financial affairs in order!
No Events Are Schedule At This Time.